Tuesday, April 1, 2008

JGM Book Club - Exposed Part I

"Trust no one." - Fox Mulder

At risk of sounding like I'm one renegade neuron away from wearing tinfoil on my head to stop the government from reading my thoughts: The government, I think, is out to kill us. Or perhaps more accurately, they aren't all that invested in preventing the premature death of American citizens. This book has left me a little speechless - which is saying something. I wish I knew where to begin, how to even discuss my reactions to the book so far. Instead, I think I'll talk about what I intend to do about it. I want this blog to be about more than pissing and moaning about what all is wrong with our government and the world in general. I want this to be about action.

As an avid consumer of cosmetics and hair products, this seems like an obvious place to start. I'm going to find out where the U.S. is at in terms of adopting the newer regulations now in place in the EU (discussed throughout the book), what is keeping us from benefiting from the safeguards protecting our friends across the pond, and how I can take matters into my own hands, purchase the best available products, and protect myself and my family from the chemical bath we are all taking every day.

In the meantime, I'd highly recommend checking out http://www.safecosmetics.org/ and http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com.

No comments: